Organization Name: Family and Youth Initiatives
|FYI’s Parenting Skills Program includes two distinct programs:
1. Nurturing Parenting Program (NPP): This is a 12-16 week class for parents and their children to take together. The classes are broken down by children’s ages, 0-5, 6-12 and 13-18. The classes include family dinner, family time and then separate parent and children time. Facilitators help direct both the parent portions and the children’s portions of the class. The purpose of NPP is to foster positive parenting skills with nurturing behaviors, promote healthy physical and emotional development, and teach appropriate role and developmental expectations. This program offers support and tools to help parents move towards positive, connecting parenting and away from physical and emotional neglect and abuse. The program is universal meaning it is open to anyone in the community and is offered at no charge due to grant funding.2. Guiding Good Choices program is a five-session parent involvement program that teaches parents of children ages 9-14 how to reduce the risk that their children will develop drug problems. The program is appropriate for families of all races and ethnic backgrounds (Harachi, Catalano, & Hawkins, 1997).
The program takes place as five 2-hour workshops. Workshops are usually held one evening each week for five consecutive weeks and use a workbook.
The program is delivered in five weekly sessions specifically designed to strengthen parents’ family management skills, parent–child bonding, and children’s peer-resistance skills. Children are required to attend one session, which concentrates on peer pressure. The other four sessions involve only parents and include instruction in four areas:
• Identifying risk factors for adolescent substance use and creating strategies to enhance the family’s protective processes
• Developing effective parenting skills, particularly those regarding substance use issues
• Managing anger and family conflict
• Providing opportunities for positive child involvement in family activities
Contact person: Caroline Brackmann
Phone of Contact Person: (719) 530-2535
Email of Contact Person: email@example.com
Organization's Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical address: 448 E. 1st Street Room 226 Salida, Colorado 81201
Mailing address: 448 E. 1st Street Room 226 Salida, Colorado 81201